brownies. kind of.

>> Monday, November 8, 2010

The other night I suddenly, inexplicably found myself with a craving for brownies that simply would not quit. My refrigerator was empty, it was late in the evening, and outside my window temperatures had fallen into the 40s. I was less than overjoyed at the prospect of putting on a coat and schlepping to the market. But I wanted brownies.

I'd been experimenting with dairy alternatives for the past few weeks anyway, so I decided to Google "vegan brownie recipes" and see what I could come up with. It turns out that there are tons of them to choose from! Not knowing much about vegan cooking, I opted for one of the most basic (and highest-rated) recipes I could find. I was surprised that it didn't seem terribly healthy--unbleached flour, white sugar, a full cup of vegetable oil? Really? Aren't vegans supposed to be more health-conscious than the rest of us? (I've been a vegetarian for years, but would have a really hard time parting with eggs or seafood.) It did seem like a good base, though, so I changed a few things to make the recipe a bit healthier.

The end result? Something that is: a) not a brownie, and b) really tasty. This probably won't become my go-to brownie recipe--there are far too many authentic brownie recipes to choose from--but it's not a bad alternative if you're short on eggs, milk, or butter, or if you're cooking for someone with allergies. Next time I'd try adding walnuts and/or chocolate chips, which I think would bring these imposters a step or two closer to the real thing.

Vegan Brownies
(adapted from allrecipes.com)

Ingredients (as written):
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water 
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Ingredients (my version):
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Pour in remaining ingredients and mix until well-blended. Spread into a prepared 9x13 baking pan.

3. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top is no longer shiny. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares.

1 comments:

Lori May 5, 2011 at 12:14 AM  

Nice stuff! I'm enjoying reading your blog here!

Post a Comment